Stop Big Tobacco from targeting Phoenix kids!
About the Campaign
There’s a public health emergency unfolding right before our eyes — and the cause couldn’t be clearer.
- More than 3.6 million kids nationally now use e-cigarettes.
- One in six Arizona high school students use e-cigarettes.
- 7 out of 10 youth e-cigarette users cite flavors as a reason they use e-cigarettes.
Youth e-cigarette usage has skyrocketed to what the US Surgeon General and Food and Drug Administration have called “epidemic” levels.
E-cigarette use among US high school students jumped by 135 percent over the last two years alone.
The main cause of the problem was Juul, a sleek, high-tech e-cigarette that looks like a USB flash drive – and is small and easy to hide, comes in sweet flavors that entice kids and delivers a powerful nicotine hit. One Juul pod delivers as much nicotine as a pack of 20 cigarette. But Juul isn’t the only problem. There are now over 15,500 e-cigarette flavors and 200 cigar flavors, and more keep coming.
These flavored tobacco products undermine Phoenix’s efforts to reduce youth tobacco use:
- 81% of kids who have used tobacco started with a flavored product.
- 97% of youth e-cigarette users have used a flavored product in the past month.
Tobacco companies continue to aggressively market menthol-flavored cigarettes to kids, African-Americans, Latinos and other demographic groups as they have for decades.
Menthol cigarettes are disproportionately used by communities of color:
- 85% of all African American smokers and
- 47% of Hispanic smokers smoke menthol cigarettes, compared to 29% of Whites.
Menthol cigarettes pose a tremendous public health threat – they make it easier to start and harder to quit smoking.
OUR SOLUTION: PROTECT THE HEALTH AND FUTURE OF PHOENIX’S YOUTH AND COMMUNITIES OF COLOR, WE MUST END THE SALE OF ALL FLAVORED TOBACCO PRODUCTS.
Vincere Cancer Center Joins Local Fight Against Big Tobacco
October 13, 2020
Analysis Finds 41% Of Phoenix Public Schools Are Within 1,000 Feet Of A Tobacco Retailer
August 24, 2020 | KJZZ
My View: Why we should ban sale of flavored tobacco in Phoenix
August 21, 2020 | Phoenix Business Journal
Study: 41% of schools in Phoenix within 1,000 feet of tobacco retailers
August 18, 2020 | Business News
Study: 41% of Phoenix public schools within 1,000 feet of tobacco sellers
August 13, 2020 | KTAR News
Phoenix must ban flavored tobacco item targeting kids
August 3, 2020 | Arizona Republic
Councilman Nowakowski interviewed on Money Radio as the Business Leader Spotlight
Get the Facts
Of youth e-cigarette users report using a flavored product in the past month.
1 in 4 high school students in the United States use e-cigarettes.
4 out of 5 kids who have used tobacco started with a flavored product.
1 Juul pod delivers about the same amount of nicotine as a full pack of 20 cigarettes.
African American Christian Clergy Coalition
Arizona Academy of Family Physicians
Arizona Alliance for Community Health Centers
Arizona Alliance of Black School Educators
Arizona Association of Health Plans
Arizona Association of Pediatricians
Arizona Asthma Coalition
Arizona Medical Association
Arizona Nurses Association
Arizona Thoracic Society
Arizona Osteopathic Medical Association
Arizona School Boards Association
Arizonans Concerned About Smoking
Black Mothers Forum
Black Nurses Association of Greater Phoenix
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
Cancer Support Community – Arizona
Chicanos Por La Causa
Children’s Action Alliance
Health System Alliance of Arizona
- Banner Health
- Dignity Health
- Tenet Healthcare
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
Not My Kid
Vincere Cancer Center
Maricopa Area Labor Federation
- American Federation of Government Employees
- American Federation of Musicians
- American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees
- American Federation of Teachers
- American Postal Workers Union
- Amalgamated Transit Union
- International Association of Heat Frost Insulators and Allied Workers
- International Union of Bricklayers
- Brotherhood of Locomotive engineers and Trainman
- Communications Workers of America
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
- International brotherhood of Boilermakers
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- International Union of Elevator Constructors
- International Union of Operating Engineers
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades
- International Association of Bridge, Structural Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers
- National Association of Letter Carriers
- Office and Professional Employees International Union
- Screen Actors Guild
- International Sheet Metal, Air, and Rail Transportation Workers
- Transportation Workers Union of America
- United Association of Plumbers, Fitters, Welders and Service Techs
- National Writers Association
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union